In Room 24 we have taken on the 10 minutes of mindfulness challenge. During the challenge we have been learning different strategies to support ‘Mindfulness’. The children have thoroughly enjoyed learning about what ‘Mindfulness’ is, why it is so valuable, experiencing the benefits of regular practise and developing  a tool box of personal strategies that help them in various situations, whether it be at school or at home. These are some of our favourite strategies:

Astin – Mindful drawing is fun and relaxing. It will always calm you down and get you ready to learn.

Abbie – My favourite strategy was writing ‘I am’ statements because we get to write some things. It makes me calm. Drawing is also a good strategy because I get to draw and colour in pictures. I also like yoga because you can stretch and if it is the end of the week, you can wake up a little bit.

Chase – I like silent drawing because I can express my feelings and wonders in my head in pictures.  I like yoga because I can stretch my body and it helps me relax.

Isla – My favourite strategies are silent reading, yoga and silent drawing. For silent drawing, we focus on using our senses, lines and what you see. I find the ‘I am’ strategy quite good. It helps me feel positive and happy. I also like reading. It helps me calm down and forget what’s on my mind. Last, but not least, there is yoga. I love yoga. It helps me calm down and relax. I love mindfulness because it helps me clam down after recess and lunch.

Charlotte – I like using belly breathing because I can watch my breathing. I can make my breaths bigger to calm me down. Some people use belly breathing to help them get back into the green zone (learning zone). It really helps calm me down and forget about the past.

Diane – The best strategy for me is silent drawing because it makes me feel I am in the present. We do this because it helps me be mindful and be ready to learn. It helps me because I just focus on what I am doing now and I get ready to learn.

Dharini – My favourite thing about mindfulness is doing breathing strategies. My favourite is finger breathing. You have to put one of your hands out and a finger and count to five.

Lee – Mindfulness helps me stay calm. It also helps me be in the moment. My favourite strategy is mindful drawing. I love doing the ‘I am’ poster.

Wesley – I like ‘smiling’ because it makes me happy and it also sends good messages to my mind.  I also like ‘drawing’ because it makes me focus on drawing and on the moment. These are my favourite strategies because they always work.

Freya – I like mindfulness drawing. It helps me concentrate and helps me be calm. My favourite one is writing positive sayings (quotes). I also really like yoga. I like all of the different moves. My favourite move is the cat scowl. It helps me feel calm and happy.

Louie – My favourite strategy for mindfulness was silent drawing. Silent drawing was my favourite because I could just block every noise out and let my imagination run free. It also helps me calm down and get ready for learning.

Abbie Kemp

Room 24

Year 3