With threatening skies and having just endured a light rain front, the whole school turned out in their orange and national dress to be with their Buddies on Tuesday 21st March. Mrs Marshall did an expert job of calling the dance and we all bowed and spun and clapped along to the bush dance music. No sooner had we finished and it began to rain again! It was great to see so many happy faces joining together for the dance. Unley Primary School has a strong tradition of celebrating Harmony Day, when we stop and think more deeply about what it means to accept other’s differences, celebrate our similarities, and embrace inclusivity and diversity. As a school, the SRC decided to support the Red Cross, particularly in light of the recent earthquakes in Turkey and Syria. We raised over $587 – thank you to the whole school community.

Room 15 embraced Harmony Day by presenting a whole school Assembly, this supporting the learning, we have been doing in Geography this semester. We have been learning about places we feel most connected to in our lives and sharing why we feel this way.

The students will then deepen this knowledge through their oral presentations that they will deliver early next term. They will then further explore the Earth and its land masses. They then will investigate the whereabouts of the 7 continents using Atlases.

I feel connected to Germany as my family come from here and we celebrate many German traditions. Each year on the 6th of December we celebrate “Nikolaus”, we put our sparkling shoes in front of our door and awake to find them filled with treats. Ella

My family and I come from India, and we celebrate many of their festivals. My favourite is Diwali which is known as the festival of light. We dress in brightly coloured clothing and light the inside and the outside of our homes with rows of lamps. We enjoy a lovely feast and give and receive gifts from families and friends. Akshita

My family come from Serbia, and we stay connected by attending folk dancing and learning the language. We also enjoy the Easter tradition of painting eggs at to share with family and friends. Eva

My family are connected to Greece, and we enjoy the Easter tradition of painting eggs red. We then play a game where we tap our egg against another person’s. The winner is the person who cracks both ends of their opponents. It is said the winner, will have good luck during the year. Tom