Hot off the press – our first review for the new Family Maths Fun series! Thanks and well done to Year 6 student, Will, who has reviewed the game Mobi. Over to you, Will…

Mobi

Set Up:

Get 2 to 4 players. Separate the operation tiles (white) from the number tiles (blue) in 2 piles. (The number tiles faced down). Select 7 tiles each and you are ready to start.

Summary:

MOBI is a fun Maths game made by the same company that made Bananagrams (for anyone who knows it). Like Bananagrams players pick out tiles from a central pile of number and operation tiles to create their own grid of equations. The aim of the game is to be the first player to make an accurate grid of equations and use up all the tiles.

What I Like About It:

My favourite things about MOBI are:

• How it is challenging and fun at the same time
  • How you get to double check the winner’s tiles and if something is wrong you continue playing
  • How you can take Multiplication and Division tiles out for younger kids (e.g. it’s easy to modify)
  • If you are starting to get more confident you can make it more like a race
  • While younger kids can keep the equations nice and simple, more advanced mathematicians can make more complicated equations

What in it is Challenging?:

• When you have a lot of options, choosing the right one
  • If you can’t make an equation with your tiles, choosing which tile to swap
  • Choosing the right equations

Recommendations:

• For anyone 6+
  • For kids that aren’t as confident you could take out an operation or 2, e.g. Multiplication and/or Division

Conclusion:

MOBI has raised my Maths to a better level and I’ve also had lots of fun playing it with my family. If you can’t get to the shops or if you want to make your own version, you could make the tiles with cardboard and a pen!