The Year 1 students in Room 11 have engaged in Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) to support positive relationships and a cooperative start in their new classroom. They have discussed actions they can take if they don’t have a friend, the importance of good manners,
 the topics they most enjoy learning about at school and the rules we follow to help everyone get along.

After reflection of their first year at school the children considered some advice for the new Reception children at Unley Primary School. Here are some of their ideas –

Try your best to be a good student. I know things can be scary and new but it is ok I  can help you feel better. Try to learn other people’s name to make new friends every single day that you are at school. Just have lots of fun. Ash

Make new friends. Help other people when they are sad and hurt. Listen to the teacher please. Kiara

If someone is lonely help them up and play with them. Make them feel good and always try your best. Jayden

If you need someone to play with you at lunch and recess just ask someone. If you are scared with the teacher you have to just try and get along with them. Diyasha

It can be scary but I will help you. If you fall over I can help you. If you fall over I can help you. If you are sad I can help cheer you up.  Hugo

Be nice to others and when they are sitting down and all alone say would you like to play with me. Make a happy life and please be nice to others. Kit

It is fun and you get to l earn lots of things and you get lots of new friends. The year is really fun and I like writing, colouring, making things, reading, doing science and making slime. I like stories and I like the zoo because I like animals. Celeste

Don’t worry at school because when you get used to it – it actually turns out fun. Don’t get scared just try and make new friends. And one more thing it does feel weird when you just start school. Kosta

I thought on the first day that the teacher way going to be scary, but it turned out pretty good and I met good friends. You will get new friends and it will be ok. Paloma

I learnt that the world spins so slowly and the sun stays in one place. The other side of the world gets sunshine very slowly so it can be night or day taking time. Lila